Sunday, June 1, 2008

Almost Double Digits


Last weekend was Sterre's 9th birthday, well, more like birth-weekend. Her actual birthday was Saturday the 24th of May, so that morning we had a big breakfast, just the family, and she opened her gifts from us. I got her a set of Ramona Quimby books, because I use to love them and she doesn't have any English books. My present wasn't the highlight however, as she got a new bike and a TRAMPOLINE!! We, yes me included, have played on that thing everyday since she got it. I also made a cake, as pictured below; they all loved it! Anyways, after the breakfast we went to an International Festival at the kids' school. It was really very cool. Every country they have a student from was represented. It was huge, and more than just people from the school came. We told Sterre it was a big birthday party for her. I got to see Irish dancing and a Bollywood skit. They had tons of amazing food as well. Then on Sunday she had her birthday party with the girls from her class. They played on the trampoline of course, but the main event was making their own jewelry boxes. Marit made a cake for the party and they also got to cook their own supper on a hot plate, stuff like mini hamburgers, pork, and some veggies. To top it off, she also had a cake on Monday to bring into school, making it a grand total of 3 birthday cakes! I'm jealous! (The second to last picture is on Sterre's birthday. The parents went to the store so I babysat for a bit and since I couldn't get the DVD player upstairs to work, I let them all lay in my bed and watch the new DVD of Little House on the Prairie that she got for her b-day. I even made them popcorn. The last pic. is Romee with my sunglasses on... upside down, she makes me laugh everyday!)


This weekend has been rather low key. Originally I was suppose to babysit all this weekend, but there was a change of plans, and it was too late for me to make traveling plans, so I hung around town. The weather has been atrocious lately, so I watched a couple of movies with some friends, babysat Friday night, and did make it outside for a bit of a walk. Oh, I also helped my friend Sarah make a Mennonite dish called Roll Kuchen (a fried cake you eat with honey or sugar). It was yummy! It was just another laid back weekend at home! (don't worry, next weekend will be more adventurous, I have plans, but I want to build up the suspense for the next blog, hehehe)

1 comment:

Cara said...

Emily,

Love the cake, how cute a star for Sterre. And you made her feel like one too I bet. Love the pink. You are a great Au pair, letting them watch tv in your bed and with food. Wow. I will be going on vacation myself to Maui for 3 weeks. Although, I will try and check out your blog from there
Love and Aloha, Cara