Last week both Martijn and Marit had their 40th birthdays. Martijn's was the 16th and Marit's was the 21st. For Martijn's birthday we had a special dinner for him and he opened presents and stuff. The picture with his hands up is when he got his new ipod! It was fun and just us. We had a little dance party after and we put on silly hats and stuff. (I love the picture of me, Constantijn, and Romee. Their expressions say it all)
Then on Saturday (the same day as Marit's real birthday) they had a big party over at the house. We had people staying at our house from Thursday until Sunday, one day with an extra 6 people sleeping over. The party was also on the same night the Dutch played in the semifinals for the EuroCup, and since I was the only non-Dutch person of about 40 guests, you could say it was a high-intensity night. Even though the Dutch ended up losing in overtime, the party was still upbeat and fun. There was tons of food (I made sushi for it!) and drinks and talking and dancing. It went until almost 3am, which I think is pretty good for 40! I have to say I did feel a bit awkward at first since I don't speak Dutch and therefore could not understand anything that was going on. But I found my niche in helping out in the kitchen. I think keeping busy was the best thing since I couldn't really communicate and I know they appreciated it as they thanked me a million times. I did get to meet a lot of their friends and talk to a lot of them too (they all speak English really well). I didn't get any pictures of the party because I thought they might think it was weird that I was taking pictures of all their friends, hehe
The last picture is of Katie and I as we watched the Italy vs. Spain game at the Fanzone in Basel. Martijn had a couple extra tickets and decided not to go, so he let me have them. The one before is Constantijn trying to eat a marshmallow off a string. I went to a class picnic he had and it was one of the games they had. And the one before is a cute picture of the kids I took while they were playing on the trampoline. They are soo cute!

No comments:
Post a Comment