Thursday, February 21, 2008

Budapest, Hungary






My family left Thursday morning last week to go home and I left Thursday afternoon for Budapest. I met my friend Natalie, who is living in Prague, there and we spent the long weekend exploring. Like a lot of the countries in central Europe, not only do these places have history from the Holocaust, but also Communism. We walked around the city looking at a lot of the sites in the freezing cold, but we also visited the House of Terror museum (dedicated to both the Holocaust and Communism), the Great Synagogue and ate at a great vegetarian restaurant to stay warm. So, the first picture is of the Hungarian flag that has the Russian emblem cut out during an uprising in 1956; it's now just the stripes. The second is me in Buda with Pest in the background (the city use to be 2 seperate cities Buda and Pest, but it is now just Budapest). The next is inside the Great Synagogue followed by Fisherman's Bastion. Then there's me and Natalie freezing our faces off and a picture of the Danube River. I think you are able to see the Parlaiment building in the back there as well. Then the last is me in a secret doorway, or whatever you want to call it.

1 comment:

Benny Johansen said...

Hey Emily!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Pretty cool, celebrating your 24th birthday in Europe! I know it's one you'll always remember.
We got your postcard -- thank you, that was so sweet to think of us. I'm so glad your family got to visit you, I know they enjoyed it tremendously. I'll give your mom a call to find out all about it.
Hope you had a fantastic birthday!
Love,
Betsy & Benny