Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A few stories and more photos

A Walk in France
Last night Katie, another au pair, and I took a walk in an attempt to see the stars. We wanted to cross the border into France (the French border is literally a 7 minute walk from my front door) and look at them from the fields. I had gone for a run through the fields the day before. As we started walking we realized that we couldn't see the stars very well because the moon was so bright. We just kept walking until we came to the next town, Leymen. We walked around the quiet town and then started to head back towards Fluh, but taking a different route. We were lost walking through the French countryside. There were cows, and flowers, and corn. It was really pretty, so we just kept walking and talking. Anyways, our short walk ended up being over two hours and we overshot Fluh by at least two miles. But, we made it!
-

The "F" is to signify that you are in France. The other side has an "S" for Switzerland. The other picture is of the fields as we were walking.
-
-
These are pictures of most of the rest of the house. The first one, the all pink one, is Sterre's room. She's 8 and really sweet. She is very motherly and cautious. If I ever have a question I ask her!! The next is of Constantijn's room. He's 5 and is pure boy. He has the cutest smile, but can be a devil the next minute. Then there is the kitchen and the living room.




-
These last two pictures are from yesterday after the kids got home from school. Sterre got this little pool for her birthday a few months ago. Even though we have been to the city pool twice since I have been here, they can't get enough of the water!!








-
-
-
-
-
Lesson on Ironing:
Yesterday Marit, the mother, asked me to iron the last few things she had while she picked up the children from school. I have no clue how to iron; I just tried to get the wrinkles out the best I could. So, I unplugged the iron, and as I was laying out the things I had ironed, the iron fell on the floor. I quickly picked it up and I saw one more wrinkle I wanted to get on the front of Marit's black dress pants. I put the iron on, and as I pulled the iron off, there were strings of goo stretched from the pants to the iron. The carpet had melted onto the iron when I dropped it and now there was a perfect outline of an iron on the front of her pants. I freaked out and started trying to scrap it off. I got a credit card and scraped until I started sweating. It was coming off, slowly, and you could still kind of tell. I was really worried, but I thought I did a good enough job that she might not be able to tell. I didn't say anything. And well, she wore them today!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi EMEM! Nice story - lol =) I would be freaking out if I was you. I haven't made sushi lately... it's just too blue without you. I hope that everything is still going well. Hopefully Ill get to talk to you soon. Im sorry my brother came home from Europe in the middle. I LOve my psych course.... me and my teacher will be friends... GO HAVE SOME FUN TIMES! Do some bouldering for the two of us. ;)

Rebekah said...

What a fun and pretty house! I can't believe the iron thing. I'm still really nervous if she finds out though. Haha. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Emily - your blog is awesome, I'm so glad you're doing one! Tell Kellie I said hello, that's great ya'll have been able to hang out. Have fun and live it up while you're over there becuase it's all I think about now - I miss it so much!
xoxo, Leighton

Lauren said...

hahaha -- that is hilarious Emily